Good morning!! So today in the Friday Five 2.0 Link up the subject is 5 Winter Running Rants…however, I have no problem with winter running. Infact, I love it! I would much rather run outside when it’s cold than when it’s 90° with 100% humidity!!
I’m linking up for the first time with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness for the Friday Five 2.0. I love finding great linkups. I’d been looking for one since the last Friday five linkup ended recently. I was glad I found this one through a google search. 🙂
- Layers. I don’t mind putting layers of clothing on to go for a run. As a heavier girl, I like to cover up for the most part 😉 That’s not to say that I’m not happy to shed them in the spring. When the temp hit 53° yesterday it made me happy to run in capri leggings and a long sleeved tech shirt. However, I adore my insulated running tights from Joe’s New Balance outlet, my bright yellow running jacket from Target and my Doctor Who Tardis stocking cap from Hot Topic.
- Snowflakes. I absolutely LOVE running when it’s snowing. Especially when it’s the huge, fluffy flakes. God’s handiwork is so much better enjoyed outdoors! I enjoyed this even more this year since I gave up running with music. The silence with the crunching of snow underfoot is just peaceful.
- Afternoon running. I am NOT a morning person. So I hate having to wake up early to run in the summer to beat the afternoon heat. However, I love being able to wait till the afternoon to run, after I get off work. I’m off every day at 12:30 so this works perfectly for me.
- What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger. I feel like the winter running outdoors makes me tougher. I know that pushing through is what gave me my sub-30 minute 5K PR two years ago. Braving the cold, snow and ice made me faster and I didn’t even know it at the time.
- Bragging Rights. Who doesn’t love a little recognition? I love it when I have people come up to me and say “I saw you running outside in the snow, you go girl” It makes me feel all giddy inside. God has allowed me this gift and I don’t intent to waste it on a treadmill indoors! (I will hit the gym if the temps are below 0 and it’s icy)
What are your favorite things about running in the winter? Do you love it or hate it?